Here we sit at the end of the first month of the year. Most New Year resolutions are distant memories at this point.
If you’re one of the people who gave up, you’re going to love today’s topic. It’s your second chance!
And if you’re still pursuing a goal, these three goal-setting tips will help you achieve what you want.
Listen to this post! Click a player to hear George & Mary-Lynn on The BIGG Success Show Podcast (Duration 3:25)
iPhone/iPad/Android/Mobile Podcast Player
[haiku url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/biggsuccess/00847-013113.mp3″ title=”The BIGG Success Show #847″]
Dr. Shane Lopez is the world’s leading researcher on hope. He says goal-setting and hope have a lot to do with each other. But it requires three types of thinking, all working together.
We’ve put our BIGG spin on the labels by making them all start with “w”. So here we go – three keys to setting goals for success.
- What do you want to change?
- What do you want to improve?
- What do you want to make better?
Dr. Lopez calls this “goals thinking”. You define what you want by starting with where you are.
Think about your “what” long and hard o you discover many “ways” to get it. Dr. Lopez calls this “pathways thinking”.
- If there’s only one way to reach your goal, you may want to rethink it.
- You need contingency plans.
- Do you have the means to achieve what you want?
- If not, can you get it?
It starts with your own time and energy:
- Will you commit the time, effort and energy to get what you want?
- If you can’t say “Yes” honestly and enthusiastically, pick another goal!
But it goes beyond you. For example, what about money:
- Will it take an investment of money to get what you want?
- If so, do you have it?
- If not, do you know where you can get it?
- Or do you know someone who would know?
You’ll also want to think about your own strengths and weaknesses:
- Are there skills required that you don’t have?
- If so, will you commit to developing them?
- Or do you know someone who has them?
- Are they available to help you?
- At this point, you may need to go back to the money questions – How much will their help cost?
The full combination
These three keys interdependently. You need the full combination to unlock hope so you move forward on your goals for BIGG success.
Most people sort of whimsically think about the “what”. In most cases, even that’s not really thought through thoroughly enough.
For the few that do, even fewer go to the next two…
Yet that’s where you should make the greatest investment – in determining the ways and making sure you have the wherewithal, you have the resources required or can get them.
But here’s another BIGG spin – “Why?”
Before you proceed past the “What” to goal-setting for your BIGG success, think about your motivation for your goal.
Your “Why” gives you the resiliency you’ll
need to keep pushing when things get tough.
It leads to BIGG success!
We have an exciting announcement coming in a couple of weeks. So please stay tuned – it’s the biggest thing we’ve ever done at BIGG success! We’ll announce it to our newsletter subscribers first, so if you haven’t done so already please subscribe today! It’s FREE!
Direct link to The Bigg Success Show audio file | podcast:
Image in this post from stock.xchng