This is our 848th episode of The BIGG Success Show. And we did something we’ve never done before.
Except for when the audio bits don’t translate well to text, our blog posts usually mirror our podcast episodes pretty closely. We know some people prefer to read and others don’t have a choice because they’re deaf.
But today we’re separating the two – same topic, two formats. We’ll give you the list here. Then we picked out five of our favorites and talked about them.
Listen to The BIGG Success Show! Click a player to hear George & Mary-Lynn (Duration 5:00)
iPhone/iPad/Android/Mobile Podcast Player
Just a quick note: We’re about to announce the biggest thing we’ve ever done at BIGG success. Today’s post is related to it.
We’ll tell our newsletter subscribers first. So if you want to be in the loop, please subscribe to our free newsletter.
We know working at home isn’t for everyone. And, of course, there are some downsides to it. However…
We love to work at home. And recent news has added to the list of reasons why.
So here are our 47 reasons to work at home:
1) Avoid the flu (and other sicknesses). You won’t be as likely to get it because you’re not in direct contact with as many people.
2) Escape the elements. You can plan your schedule so you don’t have to be out as often in extreme weather.
3) Your very own “executive washroom”. No more sharing the restroom.
4) Freshly ground coffee or loose-leaf tea, like what our friends Dan and Patrick offer at Tiesta Tea.
5) Great coffee maker, not the cheap discount variety.
6) Two words: real cream! Not the powdered stuff.
7) Walk to work, without breaking a sweat or having to bundle up.
8) The Hawkeye Pierce Dress Code. Some days, all you need is a robe (or PJs or sweats)!
9) Save money on clothes. See previous point for explanation.
10) No cubicle. Work outdoors, on your back deck.
11) No boundaries. Tired of being at home? Work at a coffee shop or the library. Who cares, as long as you meet your deadlines?
12) Take your work with you. Closely related to the last one, but it reinforces the point that you can be productive anywhere and everywhere with WiFi.
13) More bread (Part 1) – You can make homemade bread while you work.
14) More bread (Part 2) – You make more money because you’re more productive by wasting less time.
15) You can dance if you want to, because nobody IS watching.
16) The world is your oyster. You’re not limited to finding customers and clients in your own backyard.
17) Be in the moment for life’s precious moments. Experience your kids’ firsts first-hand. And why stop with them? How about your spouse? You’re able to attend events, easily pause for a moment to enjoy the best life has to give.
18) Be a night owl OR the early bird. As long as you get your work done, who cares when you do it? We just don’t recommend you try to do both!
19) Shop when they’ve dropped themselves off at work. Save time by running your errands while everyone else is at the office. We love this one because we hate waiting in long lines!
20) One word: Naps! Sure, you could nap at your desk, but that comfy couch is only steps away.
21) Quiet time, like when you were in kindergarten. Only now it gives you space to create.
22) Just-in-time life flow. Jump between your personal and professional worlds in a moment. Be there for your spouse and kids when you’re needed. Work when necessary.
23) More friction for meetings. You’re less available for impromptu meetings. You know the kind – the ones primarily held because of someone else’s agenda.
24) Help save the environment. When you don’t commute 30 minutes to 3 hours a day, you have a lower carbon footprint.
25) Less noise pollution – from the daily commute next to the beater without a muffler to the nutty co-worker screaming the lyrics to the song they’re “silently” listening to.
26) Fresh air. If you want the windows open, open the windows!
27) No alarm clock. Wake up when you want to, naturally – according to your own circadian rhythm.
28) You don’t have to bring home the bacon; the bacon brings you to home. You save money by not going out for lunch because lunch is only steps away.
29) You can sing a song, sing a song of songs. Sing it out. Sing it strong.
31) No more office politics.
32) Your workspace is perfectly designed by you for you. It’s the opposite of having one designed by someone who doesn’t know you that looks like everyone else’s.
33) Travel more. You’re used to working remotely. Just pack up your mobile office with everything else and go!
34) No more chatty co-workers walking by, dropping in and wasting countless amounts your time.
35) Release your creative creature. You’re free to think without interruption for longer periods of time.
36) You choose the background noise. It may be silence, music that fits your mood or anything else you want.
37) You work without working. It doesn’t feel like work when you love what you do and you’re not trapped to a schedule or a location.
38) You get evaluated on what counts. The metric changes from “being there” to “getting results”. It doesn’t matter how many hours you put in. You’re free to invest your energy and effort on accomplishing BIGG things, even if it takes less time.
39) Planning AND spontaneity. We believe in planning your work and working your plan. But you some spice in your life and sometimes spontaneity is the order of the day! For us, this often means an afternoon drive into the country to walk along a river.
40) Optimal prioritization. You can focus on what’s most important – personally and professionally – each week, each day and even each moment. It’s easier to do when there is no distance between your workplace and your living space.
41) Less stress. It won’t go away, but at least you won’t be dealing with the driver flying from lane to lane, the boss looking over your shoulder, the incompetent co-worker, and…well, you get the idea.
42) Who’s the boss of you? YOU!
43) More flexibility than Stretch Armstrong!
44) You control the climate, for a change. No more “He’s too hot”, “She’s too cold”. Like Goldilocks, you get to pick the temperature that is just right!
45) More control. It’s not just the temperature. You’re simply more in control of your schedule, your environment, your work and your life.
46) More independence. You get to choose what’s best for you and your situation. But it’s not a selfish pursuit. It’s the pursuit of self-awareness and self-satisfaction.
47) More freedom. You’re free to be yourself, to live up to your full potential, to live life on your own terms by making more money, more meaningfully and more dependably. That’s BIGG success!
What do you love about working from home or about the idea of doing so?
Direct link to The Bigg Success Show audio file | podcast:
Image in this post from Flickr