By Bigg Success Staff
Bigg Success with Money
You can find a lot of articles on the web that give you the steps to stop living from paycheck to paycheck. We thought we’d change it up a bit and offer some specific moves you can take to have money left from your last paycheck when your next paycheck arrives.
So here we go:
1. Pack a lunch. Stop eating out.
2. Take public transportation.
4. Buy a digital programmable thermostat. Set it to a higher (summer) or lower (winter) temperature when you’re away.
5. Get a second job.
6. Start a side business.
7. Sell stuff you don’t need anymore. e-bay comes to mind.
8. Have a garage sale. If you don’t have a garage, have a yard sale.
9. Get out of debt. Interest is better earned than paid.
10. Turn your thermostat up (summer) or down (winter).
11. Accelerate slowly when you drive. Brake deliberately when stopping.
12. Turn off the light when you walk out of a room.
13. Replace all your light bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.
14. Trade in your gas guzzler for a fuel-efficient car.
15. Don’t buy anything that you can’t pay for with cash.
16. Use coupons.
17. Shop sales.
18. Buy your clothes at a consignment shop.
19. Pay your bills online.
20. Have your paycheck direct deposited.
21. Make sure your home is properly insulated.
22. Replace your windows with highly energy-efficient ones.
23. Replace inefficient appliances.
24. Insulate your water heater, if you have an older model.
25. Check your plumbing for leaks.
26. Turn off the TV. Reading is cheaper.
27. Buy used, rather than new.
28. Go to bars that offer free happy hour food. It’s dinner for the price of a drink.
29. Cut back on your retirement plan contributions. Beware! This should only be a short-term strategy.
30. Turn off your air conditioner and open the windows.
31. Never go shopping anywhere without a list. Resist the temptation to buy anything that’s not on your list.
32. Buy generic or off-brands rather than name brands.
33. Put yourself on an allowance for discretionary purchases. When you’re out of cash, you’re done spending.
34. Get organized. A lot of people pay late fees because the bill gets lost in a mess.
35. Sell your house and buy a smaller one.
36. Shop for insurance.
37. Raise the deductibles on your insurance.
38. Cook more at home. Eat out less and buy less pre-prepared food.
39. Pull the plug on your appliances and electronic items when you’re not using them. Many of them continue using power even when turned off.
39. Service your furnace and air conditioner every year.
40. Wash your clothes in cold water.
41. Weatherstrip your doors.
42. Get a low-flow shower head.
43. Only run the dishwasher when it’s full.
44. Install faucet aerators to use less water.
45. Consolidate your automobile and homeowner’s / renter’s insurance with one carrier. They’ll usually give you a discount for doing so.
46. Shop online for gas. Prices can vary quite a bit in just a few blocks. GasBuddy.com
47. Get a gas credit card that gives you a rebate on purchases. (e.g. Discover Open Road card.)
48. Get a library card. Don’t buy books, just check them out. Same with DVDs!
49. Time when you go to the movie or theater. Go to a matinee or a day of the week when they offer discounts.
50. Trade off babysitting with your friends, instead of each paying a babysitter.
51. Trade houses when you go on vacation.
52. House sit for your next vacation. It beats paying for lodging!
53. Know the discounts offered for members of clubs or associations to which you belong. For example, your university alumni associations, AAA, etc.
54. Enjoy nature.
55. Go to the park for recreation.
56. Travel in the off-season.
57. Be flexible on your destination so you can buy at the last minute.
58. Stay close to home for your next vacation.
59. Bundle airfare and hotel.
60. Drive your car without air conditioning.
61. Have your car serviced regularly. Deferring maintenance is expensive.
62. Pay your bills on time.
63. Shop for the best interest rate for your savings.
What works for you? Share your tactics for saving money by leaving a Comment.
How To Get Rich
(Image by scol22)