It’s your reason for being.
Only you can discover it and bring it to life.
In order to truly feel whole, you must design your life so you deliver upon the promise and reach your full potential.
To find your purpose, look at your passions, proficiencies and preferences.
Listen to this post! Click a player to hear George & Mary-Lynn on The BIGG Success Show Podcast
iPhone/iPad Podcast Player
[haiku url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/biggsuccess/00736-091611.mp3″ title=”The BIGG Success Show #736″]
One of the most common questions we get is how to discover one’s passions. Set aside some time to reflect. Select a place where you can relax. Have paper and pen in hand (okay, your notebook computer will do).
Ask yourself these questions:
- What would you do even if you didn’t get paid to do it?
- Of all the things you do now, what brings you the most joy?
- What activities do you perform where time just flies by?
- Are there things you used to really enjoy doing, but for some reason you don’t make time for now?
- What really fascinated you as a kid?
- What classes really piqued your interest?
Can you see any common threads running between your answers?
It’s often not the activity itself that we’re passionate about. Instead, we actually love one or more components of it.
One final note: This is a process. Don’t get discouraged if the answer isn’t readily obvious to you. Keep letting your mind (and your heart) ponder these questions and your answers. Don’t fret – you’ll find your passions.
We all have a favorite color. We also have preferences for a bunch of other things.
- Do you prefer to work on the “BIGG picture” or are you a “detail” person?
- Are you a hands–on or hands–off kind of person?
- Do you prefer to work at a desk or do you like to be out in the field?
- Do you like to work with a lot of people, only a few, or alone?
- Would you rather work at an office or from home?
These are just a few examples of your preferences regarding work. But your life is about more than just work. Think about preferences in your personal life as well.
Passions are about the bigger picture. Preferences are about the finer points. In order to live your life on your own terms, you have to find those places where your passions and preferences align.
- What do you find easy to do that others find difficult?
- What classes did you ace in school?
- What assignments have you excelled at in your career?
While there is much debate among scholars about the importance of innate ability compared to developed skills, we believe it’s a combination.
BIGG success comes when you master a craft (personally and/or professionally) that plays to your natural gifts. It takes a lot of work to master a craft which is why it’s so important to discover your passions and preferences first.
Your purpose flows from your passions, preferences and proficiencies. The place where they converge is your center, your purpose. At this point, you feel abundant energy.
With your purpose in mind, you can begin exploring for opportunities. You’re starting with you in mind and then finding an opportunity to match.
That’s life on your own terms.
It’s also the opposite of how most people do it. They find an opportunity and try to match themselves to it.
But they don’t feel energized. They don’t feel fulfilled.
But you’re a BIGG goal-getter. You’ll progress to your full potential by living with purpose, on purpose.
You’ll fulfill the promise that was made to the world at your birth. That’s BIGG success!
Have you found your purpose? If not, maybe we can help.
Direct link to The Bigg Success Show audio file | podcast:
Image in this post from jaylopez