How to Handle a Bad Critique
A bad critique can put a BIGG Goal-Getters into a bad mood fast. We are perfectionists at heart. We strive to do our best every day and put thought and heart into the work that we do. It’s personal for us. It’s a reflection of our work ethic.
What’s worse than being told we’ve done something wrong – is being told about it with destructive criticism rather than constructive criticism.
Listen to us share today’s tips on The BIGG Success Show Podcast, and get a bonus tip that’s not here on the blog. Click PLAY.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | More
The Bad Critique
BIGG Goal-Getters agonize over having to critique someone. They write it out, practice saying it out loud, and try not to be too negative while getting a point across. So it stings quite a bit when you aren’t treated in the same manor.
We’ve all experienced the boss who just rips you a new one, or who makes one mistake seem like that’s the scope of your entire work history. It’s easy to feel defeated, and even worry that your standing in the company just got knocked down a few rungs.
The Best Way to React to a Bad Critique
You can’t let a bad critique keep you down. Here are some things you can do in response.
• Don’t respond when you’re upset! You’ll only say things you’ll regret. You’ve never burned bridges so don’t start now.
• If you believe the criticism is wrong, carefully and calmly debate why you think it is.
• Resist the urge to over please your critic. Fix the issue, let the appropriate person know, and move on.
• Don’t let your critic’s voice get into your head. It’ll just make you nervous and more likely to make another mistake.
• Try not to take it personally. You are you. Your work is your work. There is a separation.
• Consider the source. Not everyone cares as much as you to handle things the right way. Realize your critic has a lot to learn.
• Talk to someone you trust. Get out your frustration and say the things to them you’d never say in a professional setting.
Unfortunately, there are people who are put in leadership positions that have no idea how to be a true leader. You can’t control how this person will behave towards you in the future, so focus on what you can control…your reaction. It leads to BIGG Success! How about you? What suggestions do you have to offer about reacting to a bad critique? Leave a comment below.
Direct link to The Bigg Success Show audio file | podcast:
Image from stock.xchng