Did you know goal-setting and hope have a lot to do with each other? But it requires 3 types of thinking all working together. That’s our focus today. Click the player to listen to this episode of the BIGG Success podcast, or read the summary below.
This year keeps marching on. Soon, we’ll celebrate the arrival of the next one. What will you accomplish in the New Year?
Today, we’ll share three tips to help you design and refine the goals you want to achieve.
Dr. Shane Lopez is the world’s leading researcher on hope. He says goal-setting and hope have a lot to do with each other. But it requires three types of thinking, all working together.
In an interview with the University of Minnesota, Dr. Lopez says,
“Hope is the leading indicator of success in relationships, academics, career, and business—as well as of a healthier, happier life,”
But it requires three types of thinking, all working together.
We’ve put our BIGG spin on the labels by making them all start with “W”.
Today’s episode is made possible by: KindleUnlimited where you can read Dr. Lopez’s book: Making Hope Happen: Create the Future You Want for Yourself and Others.
Let’s go to the Professor’s whiteboard for: 3 types of thinking for goal-setting success…
- What do you want to change?
- What do you want to improve?
- What do you want to make better?
Dr. Lopez calls this “goals thinking”. You define what you want by starting with where you are.
Think about your “what” long and hard o you discover many “ways” to get it. Dr. Lopez calls this “pathways thinking”.
- If there’s only one way to reach your goal, you may want to rethink it.
- You need contingency plans.
- Do you have the means to achieve what you want?
- If not, can you get it?
It starts with your own time and energy:
- Will you commit the time, effort and energy to get what you want?
- If you can’t say “Yes” honestly and enthusiastically, pick another goal!
But it goes beyond you. For example, what about money:
- Will it take an investment of money to get what you want?
- If so, do you have it?
- If not, do you know where you can get it?
- Or do you know someone who would know?
You’ll also want to think about your own strengths and weaknesses:
- Are there skills required that you don’t have?
- If so, will you commit to developing them?
- Or do you know someone who has them?
- Are they available to help you?
- At this point, you may need to go back to the money questions – How much will their help cost?
These three keys interdependently. You need the full combination to unlock hope so you move forward on your goals for BIGG success.
Most people sort of whimsically think about the “what”. In most cases, even that’s not really thought through thoroughly enough.
For the few that do, even fewer go to the next two…
Yet that’s where you should make the greatest investment – in determining the ways and making sure you have the wherewithal, you have the resources required or can get them.
But here’s another BIGG spin – think “Why?”
Before you proceed past the “What” to goal-setting for your BIGG success, think about your motivation for your goal.
Your “Why” gives you the resiliency you’ll need to keep pushing when things get tough.
It leads to BIGG success!
George “The Professor” & Mary-Lynn
Co-Founders, BIGG Success
Direct link to The BIGG Success Show audio file | podcast: