The Council on Contemporary Families published a summary of previous studies, looking at data over 30 to 40 years. Here are some highlights:
1. Men’s share of household duties doubled as a percent of the total over last 40 years, from 15 percent to 30 percent of the total. The number of hours women spend on these same duties has declined over that period.
2. The younger the couple, the higher the share of household duties performed by the man.
3. Time spent caring for children tripled for men and doubled for women over the same period. Couples are placing much more emphasis on spending time with their kids than they did 30 years ago.
4. The longer a woman works outside the home, the greater the percentage of household responsibilities assumed by the man of the house.
5. Men are working less and spending more time on family duties. Women are trending in the opposite direction.
6. When the woman of the house works more hours, earns more money, or has more education than the man, the man’s share of family duties increases.
7. About one of out three couples now has a woman who earns more than the man.
They pointed out that there had been an expectation of immediate change when women started working. That didn’t happen to the disappointment of many! However, over the span of a few decades, things have changed quite a bit and they predict this trend is here to stay!
The bigg payoff
Couples are redefining what it means to be the man or the woman, the father or the mother, in a relationship. This summary shows that the divorce rate is lower when couples divide up the duties more equally. In fact, it’s even lower than with the traditional relationship where one person is the breadwinner and the other person runs the house.
Mary-Lynn and I both grew up in a traditional family that stayed together. But we’re pretty non-traditional.
Yeah, I remember that my mom was always in the kitchen. I determined long ago that wasn’t for me! She kept telling me “you’re going to have to learn how to cook, what are you going to do when you are out on your own?” I told her I would just meet a guy who knew how to cook and marry him. And that guy is George! And let me just add…he’s an AWESOME cook!!!
Roles are getting redefined so don’t listen to what other people say. If it works for you, your spouse, and your family … it works!
|This week, our newsletter subscribers received a great article about how to get more flexibility at work so you can have more time at home. You can get it, too, click this link to subscribe to the Bigg Success Weekly.
Until next time, here’s to your bigg success!